Assistant School Coordinator – Hartford, CT
Assistant School Coordinator at The Betances Early Reading Lab, 42 Charter Oak Avenue, Hartford, CT 06106
The Assistant School Coordinator is responsible for assisting in the daily operation of Read to a Child’s Lunchtime Reading Program, which matches business professionals with children for a rewarding read aloud experience during the children’s lunch break. The simple act of reading aloud to a child once a week can have a profound impact on his or her future and offers the adult a convenient and meaningful way to give back. Read to a Child is a nonprofit organization that inspires caring adults to read aloud to children and help create a better future.
The Assistant Coordinator is responsible for working in conjunction with the School Coordinator, ensuring that mentors, students, and school staff are happy with the program. Specifically, s/he will assist the School Coordinator with the following:
- Ensure that kickoff goes smoothly, including solicitation of teacher referrals and permission slips, matching student/mentor pairs, and assembly of start-up materials.
- Notify students and teachers of volunteer cancellations or schedule changes.
- Communicate regularly with mentors, including monthly updates and notification of student absences or changes in schedule.
- Communicate regularly with the School Coordinator, including weekly updates.
- Call reading mentors if their student partners are absent.
- Facilitate and monitor reading sessions to ensure smooth operation of program.
- Ensure that rooms are left clean and orderly.
- In collaboration with the School Coordinator, plan and execute end of the year celebration
- Facilitate other activities or tasks at the school site as requested
Qualifications: 1. Communicates well in person, on the telephone, & via email; 2. Experience working with groups of children; 3. Very organized, able to prioritize and multi-task; 4. Enthusiastic about children’s books and the program; 5. Comfortable working with Email, Word, and Excel.
Hours: Three days a week; approximately 6-7 hours/week during the school year. Flexibility and some additional availability for communications and meetings required. Starts mid-late September.
Hourly Rate: $13 per hour and countless non-monetary rewards
To Apply: Send resume & cover letter outlining your suitability to the tasks and schedule outlined above to: firstname.lastname@example.org. NOTE: Your application will not be considered without a cover letter.