School Coordinator – Dorchester, MA
Neighborhood House Charter School, 21 Queen Street, Dorchester, MA 02122
The School Coordinator is responsible for the daily operation of Read to a Child’s lunchtime reading program, which matches business professionals with children for a rewarding, read aloud experience during the children’s lunch break. The simple act of reading aloud to a child once a week can have a profound impact on his or her future and offers the adult a convenient and meaningful way to give back. Read to a Child is a nonprofit organization that inspires caring adults to read aloud to children and help create a better future. The Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that mentors, students, and school staff are happy with the program. Specifically, s/he will:
- Ensure that kickoff goes smoothly, including solicitation of teacher referrals and permission slips, matching student/mentor pairs, and assembly of start-up materials.
- Notify students and teachers of volunteer cancellations or schedule changes.
- Communicate regularly with mentors, including monthly updates and notification of student absences or changes in schedule.
- Communicate regularly with Program Manager, including weekly updates.
- Facilitate and monitor reading sessions to ensure smooth operation of program.
- Ensure that rooms are left clean and orderly.
- Plan and execute end of the year celebration.
- Attend School Coordinator meetings at the Boston office 4-5 times a year
- Facilitate other activities or tasks at the school site as requested
Qualifications: 1. Communicates well in person, on the telephone, & via email; 2. Experience working with groups of children; 3. Very organized, able to prioritize and multi-task; 4. Enthusiastic about children’s books and the program; 5. Comfortable working with Email, Word, and Excel.
Hours: Two days a week, Thursday and Friday, approximately 10:15 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. from October through June. Also availability outside of these times for data entry, communications, and meetings as needed from August to June, 10-12 hours per week. Start immediately.
Hourly Rate: $13 per hour and countless non-monetary rewards
To Apply: Please send resume & cover letter outlining your suitability to the tasks and schedule outlined above to: firstname.lastname@example.org NOTE: Your application will not be considered without a cover letter.