Assistant Program Coordinator – Roxbury, MA
Maurice J. Tobin K-8 School, 40 Smith St., Roxbury Crossing MA 02120
Read to a Child’s Read Aloud Mentoring Program pairs a volunteer mentor with an elementary school student for a rewarding weekly read aloud experience either during the child’s lunch or other non-instructional time.
The Assistant Coordinator is responsible for working in conjunction with the Lead Coordinator, ensuring that volunteer mentors, students, and school staff have a positive and meaningful experience. Depending on the needs of the school, coordination of the Read Aloud Mentoring Program may be conducted in-person, virtually, or a combination thereof. Specifically, s/he will assist the Coordinator with the following:
- Ensure that the program starts smoothly, including solicitation of teacher
referrals, student permission, re-matching or matching pairs, and other start-up
- Notify students, teachers and potentially parents/guardians of volunteer mentor
cancellations or schedule changes
- Communicate regularly with the Lead Coordinator, including weekly updates
- Facilitate and monitor reading sessions to ensure smooth operation of the program
- Assist the Lead Coordinator with mentor communications and updates
- Support mentors with book choice and student engagement
- Ensure that state and school guidelines for hygiene and safety are followed carefully and that rooms are left clean and orderly
- In collaboration with the Lead Coordinator, plan and implement year-end celebration (in person or adapted for virtual setting), as applicable
- Attend Program Coordinator staff meetings, at the Wellesley office or virtually, 4-5 times a year
- Facilitate other activities or tasks as requested
- Substitute for the Lead Coordinator as needed
Qualifications: Communicates well in person, on the telephone & via email. 2. Experience working with children. 3. Very organized, able to prioritize and multi-task. 4. Enthusiastic about children’s books, willingness to become familiar with the Read to a Child book collection. 5. Comfortable working with email, Word, Excel, and some data entry. 6. Comfortable working with and hosting group video conference platforms. 7. Professional, positive, self-directed approach
Hours: Three to four days a week, approximately 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Sept. through June. Flexibility required. Also availability outside of these times for data entry, communications, and meetings as needed. 12-15 hours per week. Start September, 2021.
Hourly Rate: $15.00 per hour and countless non-monetary rewards
To Apply: Send resume & cover letter outlining your suitability to the tasks and schedule outlined above to: firstname.lastname@example.org NOTE: Your application will not be considered without a cover letter.
We believe that varied perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission. Join us as we continue to build an organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued. We are continuously motivated to act on our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion among reading mentors, board members, and staff.