Assistant School Coordinator – Boston, MA
Maurice J. Tobin K-8 School, 40 Smith St., Roxbury Crossing MA 02136
The Assistant School Coordinator is responsible for assisting in the daily operation of Read to a Child’s Lunchtime Reading Program, which matches business professionals with children for a rewarding read aloud experience during the children’s lunch break.
Read to a Child is a nonprofit organization that fosters a love of reading and improved literacy skills in elementary school children by inspiring adults to read to them regularly.
The Assistant Coordinator is responsible for working in conjunction with the Lead Coordinator, ensuring that mentors, students, and school staff are happy and productive in the program. Specifically, s/he will assist the Coordinator with the following:
- Ensure that opening season goes smoothly, including solicitation of teacher referrals and permission slips, matching student/mentor pairs, and assembly of start-up materials.
- Notify students and teachers of volunteer cancellations or schedule changes.
- Communicate with mentors, including monthly updates and changes in schedule.
- Communicate regularly with the Lead Coordinator, including weekly updates.
- Facilitate and monitor reading sessions to ensure smooth operation of program.
- Support mentors with book choice and student engagement.
- Ensure that rooms are left clean and orderly.
- In collaboration with the Lead Coordinator, plan and execute the year-end program celebration.
- Attend School Coordinator meetings at the Wellesley office 4 times a year
- Facilitate other activities or tasks at the school site as requested
- Substitute for the lead Coordinator as needed
Qualifications: 1. Communicates well in person, on the telephone, & via email; 2. Experience working with groups of children; 3. Very organized, able to prioritize and multi-task in a high-energy school environment; 4. Have the ability to walk quickly and use stairs in a 3-level building to access the children and classrooms 5. Enthusiastic about children’s books and the program; 6. Comfortable working with Email, Word, and Excel.
Hours: Three days a week, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, approximately 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Sept. through June. Flexibility required. Also availability outside of these times for data entry, communications, and meetings as needed. 12-15 hours per week. Start September 2019
Hourly Rate: $13 per hour
To Apply: Send resume & cover letter outlining your suitability to the tasks and schedule outlined above to: email@example.com