Director – Metro Detroit
Read to a Child Mission
Read to a Child is a national nonprofit literacy and mentoring organization that fosters a love of reading, improve literacy skills and empowers underserved children by inspiring adults to read to them regularly.
- Relationships are paramount – we nurture them for long-term engagement.
- Details matter.
- Every day we relentlessly pursue excellence and impact, united in our commitment to the children we serve.
Read to a Child is seeking a Metro Detroit Director with outstanding fund development, communications and operational skills to ensure successful implementation and growth of our Lunchtime Reading Program at four school (plus) sites throughout Detroit and Pontiac. The successful candidate will be collaborative, positive, and eager to work closely with local and national staff to build a united, sustainable organization that maximizes impact on children nationwide. The Metro Detroit Director will be based out of an office at 1528 Woodward Avenue in Detroit and spend time at our school sites, events. S/he will report to the National VP of Program Management, based in Wellesley, Massachusetts. S/he will manage a team of part time School Coordinator(s) and potentially Program Manager(s) as aligned with program need. S/he will also seek and receive local support from the Metro Detroit Advisory Board. Job responsibilities will include:
- Identify and secure local funding from all sources— corporations, foundations, community organizations, individuals, etc – to ensure long-term program continuity. Manage, with support from the National Office and Regional Board, a major annual fundraising event.
- Partnerships (funding and volunteers). Manage existing and actively build new local partnerships, keeping contacts well-informed and engaged.
- Manage, engage, inspire, and assist in recruiting new members of the regional board of advisors.
- Ensure program success at each school by effectively hiring and supervising part time coordinators as needed (four direct reports currently)
- School Relationships. Sustain teachers’ and principals’ enthusiasm for the program and build new school partnerships
- Conduct informational sessions and training sessions for new volunteers and field inquiries from community-based volunteers. Implement and analyze local program evaluation.
- Seek and act on opportunities to increase Read to a Child’s visibility.
- Ensure accurate database records of volunteers, students and donors. Manage the donated office space. Work closely with the National Office on other operations items (timesheet review, banking, communications, thank you letters, etc)
- Financial and Strategic Accountability. Responsible for actual results (revenue and expenses), forecasting, budgeting; steering strategy for growing students served in Detroit; and operating efficiently and in alignment with the organization’s strategic plan.
PLEASE NOTE: ACCESS TO A CAR FOR SCHOOL VISITS IS REQUIRED
Read to a Child is seeking a high-energy Metro Detroit Director who is mission-driven and self-directed, skilled at fundraising, board relations, volunteer management and customer service, and excited about this opportunity to positively impact Metro Detroit’s future.
Other requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- At least 4 years of experience in a results-oriented, relationship-focused for-profit or nonprofit organization
- Experience driving major gifts campaigns, fundraising events, securing philanthropic gifts of 20K+
- Experience in building cross-sector relationships as well as identifying and developing strategic partnerships with corporations and other key stakeholder groups
- Enthusiasm for children’s literacy and a passion for helping children succeed
- A commitment to the organization’s mission and core values
- Strong business acumen, with ability to understand organization dynamics and navigate corporate cultures
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience managing volunteers and staff
- Experienced in the coordination and development of executive presentations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and database systems (Salesforce a plus)
Read to a Child is an equal opportunity employer looking to mirror the cultural diversity of the community it serves.
Salary and Benefits
This position is intended to be full-time (4 or 5 days/week). Benefits include the satisfaction of knowing you are making a difference for the future of Metro Detroit as well as eligibility for health/dental (full-time only) and 401K plan. Please include salary requirements in the cover letter.
Please send a resume and cover letter that captures why this position is a great match for your skills and interests to: Kaela Mento, National VP of Program Management at email@example.com. Those candidates whose cover letters highlight their preparation for the fundraising and board development duties of this role will be given priority for consideration.