Read Aloud Mentoring Program (RAMP) serving King Open Elementary School, Cambridge, MA.
Read to a Child’s Read Aloud Mentoring Program pairs a volunteer mentor with an elementary school student for a rewarding weekly read aloud experience either during the child’s lunch or other non-instructional time.
The Program Coordinator is responsible for the planning and the daily operation of this program at the designated school. Depending on the needs of the school, coordination of the Read Aloud Mentoring Program may be conducted in-person, virtually, or a combination thereof. The Program Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that volunteer mentors, students, and school staff have a positive and meaningful experience.
The current open Program Coordinator role is an on-site position working in school directly with students. Successful candidates must be comfortable working in an in-school environment and in keeping with all safety protocols required by the school.
This role is extremely important to the program’s function and success and will be an integral part of a fun and collaborative team! Our Program Coordinators are truly the face of our program and make a real difference in the lives of our students every year.
Responsibilities may include some or all of the following, depending on the program’s needs:
- Ensure that the program starts smoothly, including solicitation of teacher
referrals, student permission, re-matching or matching pairs, and other start-up
- Communicate regularly with Program Manager
- Notify students, teachers and potentially parents/guardians of volunteer mentor
cancellations or schedule changes
- Communicate regularly with volunteer mentors, including monthly updates, and
notification of student absences or changes in schedule
- Facilitate and monitor reading sessions to ensure smooth operation of the program
- Ensure that state and school guidelines for hygiene and
safety are followed carefully and that rooms are left clean and orderly
- Provide ongoing support and guidance to volunteer mentors on a general and
case by case basis to address specific challenges as need arises
- Document reading session attendance and participant information changes in the
- Collect mid-year volunteer mentor surveys, and year-end surveys and
assessments from volunteer mentors, students and teachers, as applicable
- Plan and implement year-end celebration (in person or adapted for virtual
setting), as applicable
- Attend Program Coordinator staff meetings
- Facilitate other activities or tasks as requested
- Submit timesheets accurately and on time
- Participate in Performance Evaluation and goal setting process
- Commitment to Read to a Child’s mission, viability and growth
- Experience working with young children
- Enthusiastic about children’s books, willingness to become familiar with the Read to a Child book collection
- Preferred – Experience managing volunteers
- Communicates well in person, virtually, on the telephone & via email
- Commitment to actively and continuously working toward achieving the organization’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goals
- Extremely organized and adept at successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously and prioritizing according to the organization’s strategic plan — with flexibility and a positive attitude
- Comfortable working with and hosting group video conference platforms (eg: Zoom and/or Google Meets)
- Proficiency working with various technological platforms: E-mail, Google Drive, word processing, spreadsheets, E-book sources, and some data entry
- Access to reliable transportation
- Access to reliable wi-fi and smart phone
Hours: Two to three days per week, hours will vary between approximately 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. from August/September to June. Also, some availability outside of these times for data entry, communications, and meetings as needed. Hours range from 10-12 hours per week.
Hourly Rate: $17.50 per hour
Benefits: Employee Leave and countless non-monetary rewards
Potential to serve more than one school site for additional hours.
Start August 2023
To Apply: Send resume & cover letter outlining your suitability to the tasks and schedule outlined above to: email@example.com.
NOTE: Your application will not be considered without a cover letter.