Harvard-Kent School, 50 Bunker Hill St, Charlestown, MA 02129
Read to a Child’s Read Aloud Mentoring Program pairs a volunteer mentor with an elementary school student for a rewarding weekly read aloud experience either during the child’s lunch or other non-instructional time.
The Program Coordinator is responsible for the planning and the daily operation of this program at the designated school. Depending on the needs of the school, coordination of the Read Aloud Mentoring Program may be conducted in-person, virtually, or a combination thereof. The Program Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that volunteer mentors, students, and school staff have a positive and meaningful experience.
Specifically, s/he will:
- Ensure that the program starts smoothly, including solicitation of teacher
referrals, student permission, re-matching or matching pairs, and other start-up
- Communicate regularly with Program Manager
- Notify students, teachers and potentially parents/guardians of volunteer mentor
cancellations or schedule changes
- Communicate regularly with volunteer mentors, including monthly updates, and
notification of student absences or changes in schedule
- Facilitate and monitor reading sessions to ensure smooth operation of the program
- Ensure that state and school guidelines for hygiene and
safety are followed carefully and that rooms are left clean and orderly
- Provide ongoing support and guidance to volunteer mentors on a general and
case by case basis to address specific challenges as need arises
- Document reading session attendance and participant information changes in the
- Collect mid-year volunteer mentor surveys, and year-end surveys and
assessments from volunteer mentors, students and teachers, as applicable
- Plan and implement year-end celebration (in person or adapted for virtual
setting), as applicable
- Attend Program Coordinator staff meetings, at the Wellesley office or virtually, 4-5 times a year
- Facilitate other activities or tasks as requested
Qualifications: 1. Communicates well in person, on the telephone & via email. 2. Experience working with children. 3. Very organized, able to prioritize and multi-task. 4. Enthusiastic about children’s books, willingness to become familiar with the Read to a Child book collection. 5. Comfortable working with email, Word, Excel, and some data entry. 6. Comfortable working with and hosting group video conference platforms. 7. Professional, positive, self-directed approach. 8. Preferred – Experience managing a large number of volunteers
Hours: Two days a week, approximately 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. from September through June. Also, availability outside of these times for data entry, communications, and meetings as needed. Up to 10 hours per week. Start September, 2021.
Hourly Rate: $15.00 per hour and countless non-monetary rewards
To Apply: Send resume & cover letter outlining your suitability to the tasks and schedule outlined above to: email@example.com NOTE: Your application will not be considered without a cover letter.
We believe that varied perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission. Join us as we continue to build an organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued. We are continuously motivated to act on our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion among reading mentors, board members, and staff.