Program Coordinator, Miami, FL
Downtown Miami Charter School
Read to a Child’s Read Aloud Mentoring Program pairs a volunteer mentor with an elementary school student for a rewarding weekly read aloud experience either during the child’s lunch or other non-instructional time.
The Program Coordinator is responsible for the planning and the daily operation of this program at the designated school. Depending on the needs of the school, coordination of the Read Aloud Mentoring Program may be conducted in-person, virtually, or a combination thereof. The Program Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that volunteer mentors, students, and school staff have a positive and meaningful experience.
The current open Program Coordinator role is an on-site position working in school directly with students. Successful candidates must be comfortable working in an in-school environment and in keeping with all COVID-19 safety protocols required by the school.
This role is extremely important to the program’s function and success and will be an integral part of a fun and collaborative team! Our Program Coordinators are truly the face of our program and make a real difference in the lives of our students every year.
Responsibilities may include some or all of the following, depending on the program’s needs:
- Ensure that the program starts smoothly, including solicitation of teacher referrals, student permission, re-matching or matching pairs, and other start-up tasks
- Communicate regularly with supervisor
- Notify students, teachers and potentially parents/guardians of volunteer mentor cancellations or schedule changes
- Communicate regularly with volunteer mentors, including regular program updates, and notification of student absences or changes in schedule
- Provide ongoing support and guidance to volunteer mentors on a general and case by case basis to address specific challenges as need arises (with input from supervisor)
- Provide volunteers with book ideas. If program is on site (i.e., not virtual), maintain an organized and inviting book cart for volunteers
- Potentially provide logistical support to parents/guardians with respect to virtual sessions
- Facilitate and monitor reading sessions to ensure smooth operation of program
- If coordinating on-site, ensure that state and school guidelines for hygiene and safety are followed carefully and that rooms are left clean and orderly
- Document reading session attendance and participant information changes in the database
- Collect mid-year volunteer mentor surveys, and year-end surveys and assessments from volunteer mentors, students and teachers, as applicable
- Plan and implement year-end celebration (in person or adapted for virtual setting), as applicable
- Attend required Program Coordinator meetings
- Support volunteer recruitment efforts
- Facilitate other activities or tasks as requested
- Submit timesheets accurately and on time
- Participate in the Performance Evaluation and goal setting process
- Commitment to Read to a Child’s mission, viability and growth
- Experience working with young children
- Enthusiastic about children’s books, willingness to become familiar with the Read to a Child book collection
- Preferred – Experience managing volunteers
- Communicates well in person, on the telephone & via email
- Commitment to actively and continuously working toward achieving the organization’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goals
- Extremely organized and adept at successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously and prioritizing according to the organization’s strategic plan — with flexibility and a positive attitude
- Comfortable working with and hosting group video conference platforms
- Proficiency working with various technological platforms. Comfortable working with e-mail, Word, Excel, and some data entry
- Access to transportation
Hours: Up to 4 days a week, hours will vary between approximately 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. from September through June. Also, some availability outside of these times for data entry, communications, and meetings as needed. Up to 10 hours per week.
Potential to fill in at more than one school site for additional hours.
Start: September/October 2021.
Hourly Rate: $15.00 per hour
To Apply: PLEASE SEND A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO INFOMIAMI@READTOACHILD.ORG OUTLINING WHY YOU ARE A GOOD FIT FOR THIS POSITION AS WELL AS HOW THE HOURS WORK FOR YOUR SCHEDULE.
We believe that varied perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission. Join us as we continue to build an organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued. We are continuously motivated to act on our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion among reading mentors, board members, and staff.