School Coordinator – Hartford CT
S.A.N.D. School, 1750 Main St, Hartford 06120
The School Coordinator is responsible for the daily operation of Read to a Child’s Lunchtime Reading Program, which matches business professionals with children for a rewarding, read aloud experience during the children’s lunch break. The simple act of reading aloud to a child once a week can have a profound impact on his or her future and offers the adult a convenient and meaningful way to give back. Read to a Child is a nonprofit organization that inspires caring adults to read aloud to children and help create a better future. The Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that mentors, students, and school staff are happy with the program. Specifically, s/he will:
- Ensure that kickoff goes smoothly, including solicitation of teacher referrals and permission slips and assembly of start-up materials.
- Greet volunteers and offer assistance as needed
- Monitor reading sessions to ensure good student behavior and smooth operation of program
- Notify students and teachers of volunteer cancellations or schedule changes
- Call Reading Mentors if their student partners are absent
- Ensure that rooms are left clean and orderly
Qualifications: 1. Communicates well in person, on the telephone, & via email; 2. Experience working with groups of children; 3. Very organized; 4. Enthusiastic about children’s books and the program; 5. Comfortable working with Email, Word, and Excel.
Hours: Two days a week Mondays and Fridays approximately 10:30 AM- 12:30 PM Occasional availability outside of these times for conference calls and other projects as needed. Starts January/February 2019.
Pay: $13 per hour and countless non-monetary rewards
To Apply Send resume & cover letter outlining your suitability to the tasks and schedule outlined above to: email@example.com NOTE: Your application will not be considered without a cover letter.