School Coordinator – Waltham, MA
Stanley Elementary School, 250 South St., Waltham, MA 02453
The School Coordinator is responsible for the daily operation of Read to a Child’s Lunchtime Reading Program, which matches business professionals with children for a rewarding, read aloud experience during the children’s lunch break.
Read to a Child, www.readtoachild.org, is a national literacy and mentoring non-profit that fosters a love of reading, improves literacy skills, and empowers underserved children by inspiring adults to read aloud to them regularly. The Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that mentors, students, and school staff are happy with the program. Specifically, s/he will:
- Ensure that start-up goes smoothly, including solicitation of teacher referrals and student permission slips, matching student/mentor pairs, and assembly of start-up materials
- Notify students and teachers of volunteer cancellations or schedule changes
- Communicate regularly with mentors, including monthly updates and notification of student absences or changes in schedule
- Communicate regularly with Program Manager, including weekly updates
- Call reading mentors if their student partners are absent
- Facilitate and monitor reading sessions to ensure smooth operation of program
- Assist mentors in book choice, reading tips, and student interactions
- Ensure that rooms are left clean and orderly
- Plan and execute end of the year celebration
- Attend School Coordinator meetings at the Wellesley office 4-5 times a year
- Facilitate other activities or tasks at the school site as requested
Qualifications: 1. Communicates well in person, on the telephone, & via email; 2. Experience working with children and adults; 3. Very organized, able to prioritize and multi-task; 4. Enthusiastic about children’s books and the program; 5. Comfortable working with Email, Word, and Excel, and entering data
Hours: Four days a week: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, approximately 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. from September through June. Additional availability outside of these times for data entry, communications, and meetings as needed. 15-20 hours per week. Start ASAP.
Hourly Rate: $13.00 per hour, non-negotiable
To Apply: Send resume & cover letter outlining your suitability to the tasks and schedule outlined above to: email@example.com NOTE: Your application will not be considered without a cover letter.